I’m so excited to share this amazing copycat recipe with you! I was asked to teach a class on nutrition at church on Thursday and I shared this recipe with them, so I figured I’d share it with the rest of the world too! Okay, so maybe I took this recipe from a post over at theyummylife.com, but I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it my own and let me tell ya, it is delicious and nutritious! And honestly super easy to make! All you need are these ingredients, as pictured below, and a candy thermometer. You ready?! Let’s do it! You can find the printable version of this recipe at the bottom of the post. Enjoy!
Flax Seed Meal
If your almonds and coconut aren’t already toasted then you will need to set your oven to 350 F and toast your 2 cups of almonds for 10 minutes, and your coconut flakes for 6 minutes. The coconut should be a beautiful golden brown color, like this!
Once everything is toasted, you’re going to just dump all of the measured first 6 ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine. So…the almonds, coconut flakes, puffed rice, flax seed meal, chia seeds, and cacao nibs. Mix it up well.
Next put the last 4 ingredients into a small pot on the stove stirring frequently over medium heat to prevent burning. Bring the brown rice syrup, honey, vanilla, and salt to the hard ball stage on the candy thermometer (260 F). This should take about 15 minutes. You’ll need to keep the thermometer in the pan the whole time until you reach this temperature. It will start to get bubbly and caramel colored the closer it is to hard ball stage.
Once combined, pour mixture into a greased 9X13 inch pan. (I usually use coconut oil to grease both the bottom and sides of the pan.) You will also want to grease the bottom of a small glass to firmly press the granola into it’s proper place. 🙂 Smash mixture with hands or glass until it is smooth and even.
Now cut into desired bar size and let cool. Store in a dry, air tight container for up to 2 weeks. Mine never ever in the history of ever last that long. These are wayyy too good for keeping in the cupboard or pantry.
- 2 C Toasted Almonds
- 2 C Toasted, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- ½ C Puffed Brown Rice
- 1 Tbsp Flax Seed Meal
- 2½ Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2½ Tbsp Raw Cacao Nibs
- ⅓ C Brown Rice Syrup
- ½ C Honey
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- Toast Almonds (if not already toasted) in oven set at 350 F for 10.
- Toast Coconut (if not already toasted) in oven set at 350 F for 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Grease a 9X13 inch pan and the bottom of a drinking glass with coconut oil.
- Combine first 6 ingredients into a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Combine last 4 ingredients into a small pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Use candy thermometer to watch temperature of the syrup.
- Stir frequently to prevent burning until thermometer read 260 (hard ball stage).
- Remove from heat and immediately pour into dry mixture.
- Quickly mix, then pour into greased pan, using spoon to flatten and smooth mixture into pan.
- Use the bottom of the greased glass to close in all the air gaps and form mixture into proper shape and size.
- Let bars cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn pan upside down on top of a cutting board.
- Lightly pound on bottom of pan to help bars fall out onto the cutting board.
- Cut bars into desired size.
- Let cool and store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.