Have you ever wondered how to make homemade mayo? It is the easiest thing and tastes so yummy! We put this on everything and also use it as a base for creamy dressings or sauces. It’s so easy to store in the fridge and will last up to a week in the fridge (if you don’t eat it all before that). I’ll take you step by step through the process so you know exactly what you’re doing. 🙂 Here we go!
The first thing you need to do is gather your ingredients.
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 C. extra light tasting olive oil (it’s important for it to be light tasting. Regular olive oil has an overwhelming flavor. You can also use avocado oil.)
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- A few pinches of salt (I usually put about 3 pinches in.)
- About a Tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A mason jar (or wide mouth container)
- An immersion blender.
*Note: You can also do this in a high powered blender but you have to go super super slow. If you use a blender pour only 1/2 C. oil in to start with, then once the oil/egg immersion starts to happen (when you see the mayo start to thicken) slowly (very slowly) pour the other 1/2 C. oil into the blender. It should be poured in over about a minute or so.
Step 2: Pour in your other ingredients. Shown here 1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder.
The most important thing is that the egg is one the bottom of everything. It doesn’t really matter what order you add the other ingredients.
1 C. extra light tasting olive oil (or avocado oil).
3 Pinches of salt. Table salt will do.
A squeeze of lemon (about a Tbsp.
Now get our your immersion blender. This thing is awesome and I highly recommend getting one. They are fairly inexpensive, plus A LOT of people have them but have no idea what to use them for, so they end up giving them away at yard sales or thrift stores for a great price. I bought mine last year at a yard sale brand new for $3! It’s probably not top of the line, but hey it gets the job done! Go find one!
Place the immersion blender at the very bottom of the jar and hold it there tightly.
Now start that baby up and watch it change right before your eyes. Keep the blender at the bottom of the jar until the mayo has thickened quite a bit, then slowly work (blend) your way up to the top of the mixture.
See how it’s starting to thicken? Now you can start to work your way up.
And Wa-la! Homemade clean mayo in just 2 minutes. So easy and so much better for you than the store bought, junk filled kind.
So thick and creamy!
This makes about one cup of mayonnaise. Keep it in an air right container (I usually just keep it in the mason jar) and store it in the fridge so you can use it every day. Oh, and throw out the store bough because you’ll never go back. 😉
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 1 C. extra light tasting oil (or avocado oil)
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard powder
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place egg in a mason jar.
- Pour other ingredients into jar and let it sit for about a minute so you're sure the egg is on the very bottom of the ingredients.
- Using an immersion blender, place end of blender at the bottom of the jar.
- Begin blending, staying at the bottom for at least 30 seconds or until you see the mayo start to thicken.
- Slowly bring the immersion blender up towards the top of the mixture making sure you get everything mixed it well.
- Keep it in an airtight container in your fridge for up to a week.